Social media is defined as “the interaction among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks”, most usually through the internet. It has been around since the 90’s and has consistently evolved into what it is now, a super-fast highway of information, used by many people around the world to communicate and interact.
As social media evolves, certain trends also develop due to the changes brought about by this evolution. When new social media technology is introduced, it is quite likely that a new social media trend will follow suit.
For 2013 and 2014, here are some of the significant social media trends that many should keep their eyes on:
1. Social Content is King: Content has become a foundation on which social media marketing efforts are built on. With the Google+ platform, content becomes even more important in archiving and indexing search results.
2. Social Media Content Management is Costly: Digital marketers are beginning to realize that even if social networks are free, the resources needed for social media management are wide in scope and expensive. Researching and developing content, publishing and managing, consume so much time and require skills that cannot be found anywhere so easily.
3. Twitter will soon be cooler: Twitter has already penetrated the minds of many a youth and is no longer a mysterious social networking tool. Brands will definitely be looking into focusing more on how twitter will be extending their reach.
4. Facebook will still have its Grip on Social Networking: And will still continue its strong growth and dominance as the basic social network of choice since it has already established itself for mobile ads and integrated itself with different apps and platforms. Even with Google+, it still has the potential to thrive since platforms usually complement each other, than compete with each other.
5. Visuals are the Key to getting Attention: For example, Pinterest has transformed from a way to share images into a way to refer sales for online stores. It has even surpassed Facebook in some cases, as a platform that creates revenue.
Though visual social media trends are still young, it is rapidly evolving and impacting the interphases and designs of many platforms. Make sure to always consider using high resolution images in designing and creating your content.
6. Responsive is now a Standard: When developing social mobile web content, always take into consideration that the users will also be using their tablets and/ or smartphones. Responsive web technology is now the norm with many new websites.
These trends may seem intimidating and confusing to many, but they can actually be turned into opportunities for starting or even old companies. Just make sure that you are up to date, since the fast pace of technology is bringing about more changes in the web’s social media trends.
To know more about social media trends and how your company can be up-to-date, contact Viiworks or by calling at +63 02 846 8844 for inquiries.